Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm Back and Tatting in Silver


It's been months since I had time to blog, between my duties as Pastor, my birthday party business and my first high end craft show, I've been swamped. I'm just now finishing my Christmas gifts.
Now for the tatting...
I've been tatting up a storm trying to get enough stuff ready for upcoming shows that I have actually developed a tatting callus. Who knew that was even possible?
The most exciting part has to do with the show I did. I met a lot of other crafts people, one was someone who makes jewelry with wire, using knitting and knotting techniques. She encouraged me to try tatting with silver, she even gave me a good size length of wire to start with. It's taken a bit to get a handle on how to work with wire but the results are awesome. Here are some pictures I took of a pendant and earrings in silver, the pattern is the center of the "arches" doily.

6 comments:

Krystle said...

are you flipping the stitches or direct method tatting? Very fascinating. I'd love to see some close up pics!

Bonnie said...

Stunning!

Tatskool said...

Woweee!

Tatman said...

Nice and clean job with tatting with wire. Yes it is a challenge and it makes you slow down and concentrate on every stitch so you don't get kinks. I have tatted with wire before and do enjoy it. Is this silver wire .925 or sterling wire? So far all I have been able to afford and get my hands on is beading wire from Hobby Lobby or Walfart. Keep tatting with wire. It should be a hit with your customers at the shows. :)

Alan Kolodny said...

I am needle tatting the silver to avoid having to load it on a shuttle. The more you work silver the harder and more brittle it gets. The earrings are silver plate, I have
Argentium Silver (tarnish resistant Sterling) on order. The pendant is fine silver which .999 per cent pure silver, thus softer and tarnish resistant. Sterling is .925 silver usually alloyed with copper for strength which causes it to tarnish.

Nancy G said...

Beautiful! Saw your work on '25 Motif Challenge' and had to stop by to say 'Hi'.